Infectious diseases are any disease or illness caused by an organism. The common organisms that cause infectious diseases include viruses and bacteria. Parasites and fungi also cause infection. These pathogens enter the body via skin contact through open sores, inhalation, and ingestion.
Causes and Risk Factors of Infectious Diseases
Below are some of the most common infectious diseases:
- Viral Infections – Common cold virus causing common cold, rotavirus causing gastroenteritis, hepatitis virus causing hepatitis, enterovirus and arbovirus causing meningitis, Human Immunodeficiency Virus causing HIV, Varicella-Zoster virus causing chickenpox.
- Bacterial Infections – Escherichia coli causing food poisoning and gastroenteritis with diarrhea and fever, Clostridium tetani causing tetanus, Salmonella causing gastroenteritis, Salmonella enterica causing typhoid fever, Neisseria meningitides causing meningitis, Mycobacterium tuberculosis causing TB.
- Parasitic Infections – Trichomonas vaginalis causing Trichomonas, Troxoplasma gondii causing Toxoplasmosis, Giardia lamblia causing Giardiasis, Entamoeba histolytica causing amoebiasis.
- Fungal Infections – Ringworm as well as athlete’s foot. Another type is yeast infections.
Signs and Symptoms of Infectious Diseases
Each pathogen causing the infectious disease has its own signs and symptoms, but they do have some common ones as well:
- Fever with body aches and pains.
- Easy fatigability.
- Coughing and difficulty breathing.
- Watery diarrhea which is sometimes accompanied by foul odor.
- Rashes with some swelling of the affected area.
Treatment and Prevention of Infectious Diseases
If you are suffering from these symptoms and you think you might be infected, then a visit to your doctor’s clinic is much needed. Laboratory tests will be given to determine the exact cause of the infection. These may be costly, so using our medical search engine will benefit you greatly. Our online marketplaces allows you to compare and choose medical providers based on the cost of their laboratory packages.